Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sorry...

Once again I have to apologize for adversely affecting the weather. This weekend I bought a new rain hat. Therefore the drought will continue. and most probably worsen, causing untold personal and economic devastation.

I know I'm responsible because I have a history of doing just that.

My wife bought me a really nice trench coat some years back. Soon I learned that, no matter what the weather's doing in the morning, if I put it on before leaving for work, by the time I get to the office twenty minutes later, the clouds will be breaking and the sun will be peeking through them. The weathermen will be scratching their heads and muttering about unusual Jet Stream patterns that cropped up overnight.

Of course, it only affects precipitation. Cold is cold no matter what I wear.

And now that I'm getting older, and my once-luxurious head cranial forest has become more of a meadow, I find hats (which I've always loved) have become a necessity. The last few years I've worn a beautiful soft brown felt fedora. Unfortunately, it got wet that winter and ended up in my trunk, where it was growing at least one lost colony of some indescribable microbe; so it went the way of all millenary, and left me hatless.

So when the wife and I played hooky last Friday and headed up to Hendersonville, NC, she happened upon a really cool oilcloth fedora. It has a flannel interior to keep my poor noggin warm, but the oilcloth makes it waterproof, so it doubles as a highly effective rainhat.

Now here in the Upstate we've had almost a week of rainy weather: not enough to break the worst drought in decades, but enough to give us a little hope.

Now I've ruined it.

Friday morning was cool and damp, with forecasts for rain through the weekend. When we entered the store in Hendersonville, the clouds were lowering, and the air heavy with the promise of more showers.

We exited the store with my new hat and watched the clouds dissipate into the most beautiful blue October mountain sky you could ever hope for.

The forecast is for sunny skies and dry weather for the foreseeable future. The only use I can see for my new hat is to keep the dew off.

I apologize for any inconvenience my ill-considered fashion choice may cause.

No comments: