Monday, July 14, 2008

Six Quirky Ideas (Part One)

So here I am, trying to deal with getting tagged with the task of exposing myself in full view of God and everybody by telling you, my loyal readers (both of you) about six of my fondest quirks.

As an aside, I'll just mention that the title of this piece, "Six Quirky Ideas", is a tribute to the book Six Great Ideas, by the modern philosopher Mortimer Adler. The six ideas he discusses are the cornerstones of civilization, to wit: Truth, Beauty, Justice, Freedom, and two more I can't remember right now, but that may be because I last read the book about twenty years ago. Thus we see an example of

Quirk the First
My head is full of generally useless information. And it's liable to pop out at random moments. Seems I just kinda think that everybody knows this stuff, and I'm just reminding them. makes for some awkward moments.

Quirk the Second
My family and I have enough allergies and sinus issues to keep several over-the-counter drug companies in business. This is not the quirk.

This diagram represents a card of Sudafed (or some similarly blister packed decongestant). Note that there are four detatchable quarter cards, each of which holds six individually blistered pills.



Being a full-sized man, when I have a stuffy nose, I punch out two pills. When my loving wife has a stuffy nose, she - being a delicate princess - punches out a single pill.
Pay attention, now. Here's the quirk:


When my lady punches out her pill, she punches at some random location.

I hate that. Because I need blister pack symmetry. I need it. Observe the effects on individual quarters:

Best Worst



I confessed this once to my lady wife. After much glee at my discomfiture, she has begun punching out pills in straight rows right across the whole card.

I love her.

Quirk the Third
This is silly. I know this silly. I realize that there is absolutely no rational reason for this. In fact, I know the idea is totally, completely wrong.

But somewhere, deep in my psyche somewhere, I hold the firm belief that if you keep moving, less sunlight gets on you; therefore you're less likely to get sunburned if you're walking.

It doesn't matter that this idea has been disproved in my very own experience. It doesn't matter that a sixth grader would think i'm an blithering idiot. I think I'm a blithering idiot.

But somehow I'm convinced it's true.

Next time: Quirks the Fourth through Sixth!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Where did she find you? You two are a pair! (My quirk: overstating the obvious)

Great post, dawg. Glad I found your blog.

That really, really rhymed!!!

:)